Civic Amenity sites are facilities where the public can bring and discard various types of household bulky waste as well as recyclable materials.
Unlike Bring-In Sites, where only paper, plastic, metal and glass can be delivered, Civic Amenity sites also cater for the disposal of:
- Furniture, mattresses, carpets and clothing
- White goods such as fridges, cookers and microwaves
- Electronics such as computers, monitors, mobile phones, printers, electronic toys and tools
- Garden waste
- Edible oil and lubricant oils
- Batteries, spent bulbs and neon tubes
- Expired medicines and used syringes
- Solvents, chemicals, paint and other hazardous waste
- Small quantities of household construction waste such as stone and tiles
The waste collected at these sites is either exported overseas for treatment, treated locally, re-used for other purposes or recycled. In fact the purpose of these centres is to optimise the collection of certain types of waste and increase the recovery of secondary materials.
There are 5 operational Civic Amenity Sites which are situated at Mriehel, Hal Far, Luqa, Maghtab and Tal-Kus, Xewkija Gozo. Soon a sixth Civic Amenity site will be opening in Ta' Qali. Civic Amenity sites are open from Monday to Sunday (including Public Holidays) between 7.30am and 5.30pm. Entrance is free of charge and vehicles may be driven directly into the facility avoiding the need for parking.
For information regarding the individual CA Sites, please click on the following links:
Watch this video about Civic Amenity Sites (in Maltese):
Download the booklet below to view more detailed information about how to dispose of your waste.